But it is also a good time to look forward and that means looking at what you need to do to be ready for the new year. Here are some quick and easy ideas to help you get ready for your writing in the new year and get you off to a fast start in 2018:
1. Look for old stories that you can polish. Is there something you might have written in the past that just needs editing before it can be submitted or published? Now is the time to pick up some of those unfinished pieces and see if they can be made publishable.
2. Look for new story ideas. This is a good time to start planning your year with new stories you might want to write. Make a list of them now so that when you sit down to write you already have a beginning idea to work from. And if crazy things are happening around you, pay attention to them. You might find yourself coming up with a new story idea just from something that happens to you or your family or friends this holiday season.
3. Re-organize your writing space. Many of us have a few days off around the holidays. Some of them may be crazy-busy or filled with the family, but after all the chaos has passed you might find yourself with some extra time. You can use that time to spruce up your writing area for the new year.
4. Buy yourself a present of either a new book or new writing materials. Why not start the new year
with a new notebook or a new writing program? If you've been a good girl or good boy this year in the writing department, you deserve it!
5. Find time to relax and get re-energized for the new year. This time of year can be very busy and we don't want to be so stressed that we're not ready to face the new year. Take some time for yourself to just think about what you've accomplished this year and what you might want to accomplish next year.
The main thing you want to do is to be ready on January 1 or the next day to start off a new writing year. Happy Holidays to all!