As summer ends we usually find that we've gotten a lot less done than we anticipated. Often we set unrealistic goals about writing all through the summer vacation or carrying out all that fantastic research and now we're ready to write. In the meantime the project sits there and gathers dust, but it doesn't get started, much less finished. So now, the summer is ending. What can you do to get yourself going again. The fall rush will soon be started, with the resumption of school and all those other small things that didn't get done still need doing.
And your writing project? Again, it sits there.
What can you do to get going again? Well, with the kids back in school it might be time to set your new fall schedule too.
1. Set aside a writing time. With schedules being re-done, why not try to set up your own writing time too. Try writing in the morning. Either do it once the kids are off to school or try that final hour before having to go pick them up.
2. Go the library and do your research. With the kids back in school some of the busy time at the local library might be less busy and that could mean a quieter time and less traffic at the library. If there is research you've been wanting to do, this might be the perfect time to to it.
3. Visit the local book store. Reading a new fiction novel might be just the thing to get your own writing ideas flowing again. Finding the latest release by your favorite author might also be a good way to get your own writing groove back.
4. Look for a critique group. Again, with the kids back in school, there might be other writers in your area looking to start a new group or for new members of an existing group. With the change in the season and in schedules some people might be falling out so the groups might be looking to re-arranging.
5. Try joining a new writing group. Some will stop for the summer, so check out the local libraries or look online to see if there are any writing groups meeting. Visit local book stores and check the bulletin boards to see if there are nearby groups looking for new members.
Whatever you choose to try, this is the perfect time of the year to start a new project. It's like the beginning of a new school year. The next few months will probably be spent inside, so why not begin a new book? You could be finished by next spring!
At the beginning of every new year don’t we always look at different ways to start off fresh? We want to make our resolutions or set goals ...
My writing career started off as a romance writer but I soon got the urge to write suspense as well. As I explain to friends and readers, th...
Today I got a question from a student in one of my writing classes about her characters. It wasn't about how to build them or how to m...
Every year in January would be writers, beginning writers and even published writers tell themselves this is the year they hit it big and g...